Medical science is one of the few things which constantly gotten better and more developed since the beginning. Every day, a new discovery is made, a new medicine or a new treatment is invented. But, the facilities we get these days weren’t there back in early the early 1900s and before that. If you happen to google for treatments used in the past, you will be terrified. These vintage medical images from past will not only haunt you for days but also, make you thankful for being born in the modern era.
Here are vintage medical images which will scare you and leave you terrified!
1. This indeed looks torturous. That’s how doctors used to check the curvature of the spine. This as done for treating scoliosis.
2. 19th century London was indeed the era of corsets. And this is how it used to damage ribcages. Scroll down, you’ll see more vintage and terrorising medical images.
3. The stories of inhuman treatment of mentally ill are something which always originates from the past. Here, the patients were wrapped in wet blankets.
4. This Iron Man looking suit is actually a portable iron lung. Made and designed in 1950, it allowed people to stay at home.
5. One of the rarest vintage medical images of an artificial leg from the year 1890.
6. No, that’s not a vintage picture of an alien. That’s how a radiology nurse’s protective gear used to be in 1918.
7. Before you call this gross, hear the story from 1961 Antarctic expedition. Leonid Rogozov is the only surgeon who operated himself after he suffered from appendicitis.
8. A captivating wire mess suit was used back in 1960 to measure the body temperature. I am glad they came up with Thermometer.
9. Scoliosis and its treatments were indeed horrifying. This Clark’s spinal apparatus was one practical treatment back in 1878.
10. This was used for blood transfusion. Finally, something which is not scary.
11. This for sure is not really vintage. But this is how pro-PET headgear is used for studying how a brain works.
12. That’s a flu mask which was used in 1919 when the flu epidemic plagued after Word War I.
13. If you are wondering what this vintage image is, let me answer. That’s an artificial kidney machine from 1950.
14. Before you say this one of the many medical images is terrifying, know what it is. That’s a Roentgen steed which was designed to keep children steady during x-rays in 1957.
15. This is how medicated heroin was sold in the year 1890 by Bayer.
16. Who wants to travel back to 1900 and get an electric bath in this? These medical images are going to haunt me for days.
17. First of all, that’s not a time traveling machine. That’s one of the rare medical images of Winston Churchill’s personal pressure chamber. This helped him in making high-altitude flights.
18. The invalid rolling cart, that’s what this was called belongs to 1915. These vintage medical images are terrifying.
19. Winter rickets was something which terrified everyone in 1925. And the vintage treatment involved tanning the babies.
20. Medical science has indeed developed a lot in the field of eyes. Otherwise, I can totally imagine people freaking after seeing this vintage Electroretinogram which was used to measure the electric potential of the retina.
21. Giving birth back in 1750 wasn’t as safe as it is now. This adjustable chair was used in Europe for the process.
22. This cobalt machine was invented to attack the cancerous tumors in 1955. The machine used to rotate and swing around the person’s body.
23. Straight out of the thriller and horror movies. This is a US Civil war doctor’s medical equipment box.
24. This is how physiotherapy used to be back in 1920. Location being Reed Army Medical Center.
25. The late 1600s was a time when doctors weren’t allowed to touch a woman’s body. To perform their practice, anatomical models of women were made and used instead.
26. 1855 is marked as one of the early years of surgeries. This here is how it used to be performed under the influence of anesthesia.
27. This one of the many terrifying vintage medical images is a 2,000,000 volt Deep Therapy X-Ray machine. It was used for treating cancer. Fight against cancer has never been easy.