Chernobyl nuclear power plant led to a tragedic disaster that has never happened in the world on April 26th, 1986. Chernobyl was caused by human error. This explosion released a vast radioactive cloud to open which destroyed north and western Europe, even reaching as far as the United States. Almost 34 and 51 people died then and there, but it took nearly 4,000 and 734,000 lives due to the exposure of the radioactive rays.
HBO channel is making a mini-series Chernobyl which is brought back the tragic event into the public. These artists nailed it. Scroll down to see the comparison between the real people and the cast in the series.
1. Jared Harris As Valery Legasov, Scientist
Valery Legasov was the deputy director of Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy who was appointed to investigate the Chernobyl accident.
2. Jessie Buckley As Lyudmila Ignatenko, Vasily’s Wife
Lyudmila Ignatenko’s husband Vasily died slowly due to radiation and she gave birth to a baby with cirrhosis of the liver and died later.
3. Stellan Skarsgard As Boris Shcherbina, Deputy Prime Minister
Boris Shcherbina was the Council of Ministers and acted as the in charge of Chernobyl disaster in 1986, and served as crisis management supervisor
4. Sam Troughton As Aleksandr Akimov, Shift Supervisor Of The Night Crew
Aleksandr was the shift supervisor. He announced emergency after shutting down the reactor after hearing the news but it was late. Due to the power cut, they had the process manually.
5. Adam Nagaitis As Vasily Ignatenko, A Pripyat Firefighter
Vasily Ignatenko is a firefighter. He doesn’t even know the scene of the roof fire at first.
Trained civilian and military were appointed to deal with the situation.
7. Paul Ritter As Anatoly Dyatlov, Supervisor
Anatoly Dyatlov was the deputy chief engineer who supervised the test that leads to the explosion. He overruled Akimov’s and Toptunov’s objections.
8. David Dencik As Mikhail Gorbachev
Mikhail Gorbachev is still operating Rusian political circles. He failed to release the statement to the world about the issue immediately and released it 18 days later.
9. Con O’Neill As Viktor Bryukhanov, Plant Director
Bryukhanov, the plant manager, and the Director of the Chernobyl site. He neglected the words of Avekon and refused to release the second water pump.
10. Ralph Ineson As General Nikolai Tarakanov, Commander Of The Chernobyl Liquidators
Tarakanov, inspired with his motivational words more than 3,000 liquidators who had risk it all to clear the roof.
10. Adrian Rawlins As Nikolai Fomin, Chief Engineer
Fomin refused Akimov ‘s report and forced the staff to feed water into the reactor.
11. The Trial
12. Michael Colgan As Mikhail Shchadov, Coal Minister
Image Source: HBO