Living in a hostel ends up teaching us many important lessons. We all become independent, confident, etc etc but do you have any idea who the biggest teacher in a hostel is? Nope, not the warden, it is the hostel mess, a place where you won’t even set your foot (but you have to because surviving without food isn’t one of your superpowers, duh!) Your hostel mess ends up teaching you a plethora of lessons which prove to be rather useful in the long run.
Wanna know what life lessons your hostel mess makes you learn?
1. You realize the value of maa ke hath ka khana.
It’s because eating in the mess is literally eating ‘mess.’
2. You finally learn the lesson of punctuality.
Because, at 7 it is mattar panner, at 8 it is just mattar and at 9 it is just gravy floating in a gallon of water.
3. Saving money like a pro because you accept its importance finally.
So you can treat yourself to a human meal, at least once a week. *sobs*
4. It teaches you that patience is a very important skill to learn
Waiting in long queues to get that food you would not even like to look at, makes you a patient man because you finally realize throwing tantrums won’t shorten the line. Paapi pet ka sawal hai.
5. Smile in the face of adversities ‘cause that’s how you roll, baby!
Because those big fat tears won’t change the soggy dal into mutton biryani.
6. You finally learn the art of being invisible. Shhhh!
Sneaking in those banned electric kettles sure needs some top-notch stealthy skills.
7. You learn to thank God for the smallest perks in life. The lessons your hostel mess teaches you, Whew!
Be it the extra samosa in breakfast (thanks to the canteen wale bhaiya) or the half boiled Maggi you got your hands on. Every single thing counts, mind it.
8. It trains your brain into becoming the next Sherlock of the century.
What is this mushy thing? Let’s taste it. Hmm, it’s black. They say it is dal. Kaali dal! Bingo! Finally recognizing them. Mumma will be so proud!
9. Makes your taste buds aware of the world of deliciousness out there.
Your poor soul wanders in the search of heaven and in return you discover the world of tasty dishes just waiting to become your favourite.
10. Your hunger and utter disgust for the mess food brings out the inner master chef in you, out in the open.
Maggi sandwich, anyone?
11. You learn how to make friends, or the common pain your taste buds share makes you allies.
Friends for life!
12. And the biggest life lesson- one can survive anything, as long as they keep up hope.
Obviously, if you could survive hostel mess buddy, you can even outrun the Devil.
Mark my words, human. These lessons are jewels that only your hostel mess gives you. So, what’s there for dinner today? Scared, are you?